Current: Originally from the US, I live in Prague, Czech Republic. I’m a language coach, a lecturer at the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, and I teach and train people from around the world in a variety of important skills. I’m a teacher, coach, or consultant for the international employees of companies like Concur, Microsoft, and Nestle. I’ve taught and coached people in the public eye, preparing people like Miss Czech 2006 Renata Langmannová and Miss Czech 2010 Jitka Válková for events such as Miss Universe, helping them use a foreign language while presenting or singing under the stress of the spotlight. My approach combines current psychology research, language, and inter-personal skills training.
Background: From 1993 to 2002, I earned BA degrees in psychology and philosophy, and studied cognitive science at the PhD level at Ohio State University while doing research with chimpanzees investigating primate cognition, language / mathematical ability, and behavior at the OSU Department of Psychology‘s Primate Center with Prof. Sally Boysen.
While at OSU I also did research under Prof. Tanya Chartrand (now at Duke) investigating social cognition, rapport building, consumer behavior, and automatic processes like priming, and the subconscious effects of body language. In my philosophical studies, I focused on critical thinking, philosophy of science, philosophy of mind and language, the study of how mind and language relate, and the informal logic of argument and debate, i.e. the logical structure of language in argument, and how to effectively apply it.
- Yale University – Open Courses in Psychology and Economics (Game Theory / Behavioral Economics)
- Harvard University – Extension Courses in Psychology
- Stanford University – Open Courses in Linguistics, Human / Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science and Entrepreneurship
- I have worked as a language and behavioral therapist for autistic children performing ABA therapy.
- I was a Lecturer at Charles University in Prague
- I have over 19 years of theoretical and practical experience in the field of psychology of language and instruction.
Other interests include:
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA, fitness and healthy living
- international travel, hypnosis, indoor gardening, chess
- biography, history, physics, learning European languages
- film, non-fiction, nature documentaries
- playing the drums and guitar
I combine my knowledge and experience across various fields to create a unique approach that applies proven teaching methods with cutting edge science so that student interest and learning is maximized both inside and outside of the learning environment.
In partnership with:
LinkedIn: View John Hanes’s profile